Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I think I'm in love...with a Ginter insert set!

Alright, I promised myself I wasn't going to do a Allen and Ginter post till I had something to really post about, but...

I will make no bones about it Topps' Allen and Ginter has been my favorite set to come out for at least the last 6 years (since I finally took notice of it).  The reason I like it so much isn't the look or that they look great autographed, both of which is true, it's for the oddballs included.  Both in the set and the inserts.  Every year I find at least one insert set I really like and this year is no different.  While I like a few of the mini inserts sets the one set I'm really gaga over is the Air Supremacy set.
As a kid who grew up an army brat and liked to build model air planes this set is awesome.  There's a great mix of old and new aircraft.

Here's the whole checklist

AS-01 B-17 Bomber
AS-02 F-22 Raptor
AS-03 Supermarine Spitfire
AS-04 P-51 Mustang
AS-05 B-52 Stratofortress
AS-06 AC-47 Spooky
AS-07 F-16 Fighting Falcon
AS-08 F/A-18 Hornet
AS-09 Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
AS-10 Sea Harrier FA2
AS-11 Sopwith Camel
AS-12 F-86 Sabre
AS-13 F-15C Eagle
AS-14 EA-18G Growler
AS-15 V-22 Osprey
AS-16 Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
AS-17 B-25 Mitchell Launch
AS-18 MiG-15
AS-19 Hawker Hurricane
AS-20 F-15 Eagle

I've managed to pull 3 of the 20 cards in the set.  There is the blatant omission of any enemy aircraft except maybe for the MiG-15 and my favorite WWII aircraft somehow got left off the list.
Props if you know what plane this is.

Still by far the best insert set in the issue this year.

5 comments:

  1. I'm no expert, but I think that is a B-29.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. PatP beat me to the punch. I found out about this subset a few days ago, and I'm still pissed off that the P-38 isn't included. I don't collect A&G, but I'm going to keep an eye out for some of these inserts.

      Delete
  3. The P-38 has always been one of my favorites. I've got that Spooky card for you. Let's get to trading - and not on Bunt for once!

    ReplyDelete