Thursday, January 19, 2017

Child of the 80's - A trade post

We interrupt the infrequent Super Bowl contest posts to bring you this trade post.

I'm a child of the 80's.  I grew up on the A-Team, He-Man, and Chuck Norris movies.  And of course a fond love of the Garbage Pail Kids. When John from Johnny's Trading Spot emailed me out of the blue if I was interested in trading for some GPK I was immediately interested, but hesitant.  I wasn't sure if I could pull a trade off now.  Most of my collection is currently sitting miles away in a heated storage unit.  As I thought about it, that sage advice that Winston gives Ray in Ghostbusters echoed in my head, "Ray when someone asks if you're a god you say YES!"  So when someone offers to trade you a big stack of Garbage Pail Kids, especially ones you need, you say YES!, So I said yes.  Fast forward to a week or so ago and a flat rate box showed up on my doorstep and inside, packed very neatly (I wish I'd have gotten a photo of it) and wrapped like little presents, was about 300 Garbage Pail Kids, all from my want list.

I was really impressed with how good of shape the card were in.  Johnny had said that he had picked this up with a larger purchase, but didn't elaborate too much.  But whoever had owned these before John stored them very well.  The cards ranged from Series 4 through I think Series 14.  Here are a couple of my favorites.

 So gross.
Pretty risque for 1986-87.

Currently my collection is housed in one two slot shoebox, but I'm hoping when we get a new house I might work these into a binder.  This is also a picture before I added all of John's cards.

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the new GPK stuff Topps has been throwing out.  And I decided a couple years ago to stop going after any of the new stuff and concentrate on the original 15 series'.  That said when I went to update my need list the last time I had updated it was March 2013!  It's been awhile since I've thought about this collection.

Thanks John for putting some life back into it!

3 comments:

  1. Not my era but they look in great shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That box is going to need to be full now. You have to put them into a binder now. Remember, I still have more LOL.

    ReplyDelete