Friday, December 7, 2018

Ala Twitter

Still digging out of the rubble up here in Alaska.  Just kidding we're doing just fine.  If you didn't hear we had a pretty big shaker a week ago and while the damage was surprisingly minimal and we had zero fatalities the city is still on edge as we've had almost 2900 aftershocks.  We lost a pot and a picture frame but other wise we didn't have a ton of damage or clean up and the man cave survived with almost no displacement.  But that's not an excuse for my lack of posting, no I have lots of other great excuses for that.  Anyway, while I haven't really felt like blogging in a while I do want to finish up a few trade posts.  This time it's a three in one post with a few mega trades that happened via Twitter.

I like to think there are couple different kinds of trades and trade styles.  There are those trades that are carefully crafted with a surgeon's precision.  One for one trades, a relic for relic, auto for auto, etc.  Sometimes those trades take a little back and forth before both parties are happy.  The other main type of trade is more of what I like to call the shotgun approach.  It's a bulk trade usually involving a team or player.  Here it's not so much quality, although it can be, but it's much more quantity.  I'm an unabashed Brewers fan.  I sometimes post new pick ups or an odd rant on the ole Twitter so it's not surprising I get a few trade requests. 

A few months back a fellow Mark @markdwilkns, contacted me if I'd be interested in a bulk trade.  He had a bunch of Brewers he was looking to get rid of and would take any and all Red Sox.  Mark ended up sending me his side first without reservation, which I'm glad, I've had a few bad experiences with blind trades on twitter.  What I got was pure awesomeness.  Three 400 count boxes full of Brewers from the 1980 all the way up to present.

I have a ritual when I when I get a lot like this.  I have over 9400 unique Brewers cards and most of the Topps and other brands base cards, but I sort through the lot looking for inserts and other more premium brands and separate those out to check against what I have logged at TCDB.
What I ended up with was this stack.
In the end I ended up adding almost 200 new cards or more, I didn't keep very good track.  Here were a couple of my favorites in the bunch.


Man I miss those late 90's early 2000s inserts.

But this trade actually caused my next to bulk trades.  After I posted a thank you to Mark, or was it he posted a thank you to me, Matt @jmswyo asked if I'd be interested in more Brewers.  How could I say no and Matt wanted my extra Royals cards.  Originally Matt thought he only had about 700 cards for me, but when it was all said and done it was closer to 1200.  Matt was honest it was mostly junk era stuff.
He wasn't lying, but after my usual sorting ritual and cataloging I needed well over 100 of those cards and it help complete quite a few team sets.

My next trade came via Blair @blairrussell1 who also messaged me saying he a slug of Brewers, mostly modern commons to trade.  I was in this deep why not.
Blair's package was stuffed with 14 9 pocket pages full of Brewers slotted front to back.  While I had most of these as well, after careful sorting I still managed to find a good 20 to 30 cards I didn't already have.

So after my 2500 card trades I had to put the brakes on the bulk trading.  Right now I'm sitting on almost 10,000 dupe Brewers cards, some of which will make there way to fellow Brewers team collectors, but I have a feeling most will be sitting on my shelf for a long time.  

Anyways thanks to Mark, Matt, and Blair for the great trades

3 comments: