Monday, October 3, 2011

Cynicalbuddha's Top 100 #15



Daaaarryyyyll....Daaaaarryyyyylll....Daaaarryyyyyll.
I don't often buy expensive packs of cards.  I stay away from ripping things like Triple Threads and Marquee and usually Tribute.  I find it always better to save your money and take that 50 or 100 bucks you would have spent on the pack and take it to ebay and find exactly what you want. But last year I desided to splurge and bought a pack of just released Tribute.  I had seen a bunch of pack breaks on Youtube and I had just gotten paid and had a little extra money to burn and figured reason be damned. What I came away with is this beautiful Darryl Strawberry auto relic.  And in the pack was a Warren Spawn Milwaukee Braves base and a Sal Bando (although in his A's jersey) base, Sal finished his career in Milwaukee.  But let's get back on target here.  I bought and opened the pack at Don's Sportscards.  I'm sure you've heard me talk of it before.  Don offered to buy it from me, he had a Met's guy that would have scooped it up in a second.  I decided to hold on to it, first because it was my first big hit out of a mid-high end product and second I had no idea what it was worth.  That being said I still have it because, well, it's a pretty awesome looking card.  The scan doesn't do it justice and it's Darryl Freaking Strawberry, 8 time all-star, 4 time world champion, 1983 NL Rookie of the Year, 2 time silver slugger.  Sure he's had his problems, but dare I say that some day this man might make Cooperstown?  I have fond memories of the stars from the 80's and 90's growning up and Strawberry will always be there, and for some reason I always think of him in a Mets uniform too.   So number 15 on the Top 100...

2010 Topps Tribute Daryll Strawberry Autograph and Relic card TAR-DS2 numbered 87/99.





cb out.

1 comment: