Monday, May 6, 2013

Free Comic Book Day: The Haul!


Started way back in 2002 to help Comic shops and the industry help gain new interest in the hobby and the medium Free Comic Book Day, or FCBD, has been an annual nerdfest for well over a decade now.  I wish I could say I was there for the first one, but alas I was not, I'm not sure what year I finally made it to a FCBD event, but even when I was living in Haines, Alaska, I still made it to a participating shop.  And why not, who doesn't love free comics?  And some of the books even get valuable.

This year I hit up both Bosco's locations in Anchorage and made my wife go with me.  Bosco's policy is you get 5 books per person, so taking my wife along we get 10! And hitting both stores means I get 20, or more importantly most of the books I want.

The one I was most interested in getting was the free Walking Dead comic with new stories and it was stated that none of the stories in the free issue will be put in the trade paperbacks, plus the Walking Dead is still insanely hot.  I ended up picking up a copy in each location, but to be honest the store had tons of copies so it's not like this comic was short printed.
After I got home I started paging though a lot of the comics and I noticed just how many of them were actually labeled as first prints and had original stories.  That a big plus not just from the collecting side, but also for the fan who enjoys comics.  Here are the other 18 I ended up getting.
Last year Archaia went crazy and actually gave away a small hardcover book.  Not this year, but they do have an cool original Mouse Guard short, my wifes' favorite comic, and it's a flip book, like a lot of the free books, with Rust on the back.  There are also a couple other shorts inside as well.

I always pick up Bongos Free-For-All. Love 'dem Simpsons!

I couldn't resist Dynamites free book featuring Grimm.  Plus this is one of my wifes' favorite TV shows too, so I guess I really got it for her, right?

It's been along time since the Turtles have been the Turtles.  After Archie got a hold of them and now Nickelodeon they are a far cry from the original, but I can't resist a TMNT comic.

Don't ask.

I was really into Valiant back in the early 90's, I'm glad they're back, for now.

Hard to pass up a Star Wars comic, it's also a flip book with Avatar on the back.
Dark Horse's other Freebie was the Mass Effect/Killjoys flip book.

Archie had a free Digest comic.

DC had this awesome Superman with Jim Lee cover.
And this DC Nation sampler comic.

Avatar's (the publisher, not the Airbender or blue guys) offering.

Hermes Press offers two digitally remaster Sunday insert stories from the original Sci-Fi good guy.


One of Marvel offerings
And the other.

Kaboom's super sampler.

Arcana's Steampunk/Oz story

Oni Press' new series.

And there you go.  A nice haul if I do say so myself.  Ok now back to baseball cards.

cb out.

1 comment:

  1. Damn... I knew I had another errand to run this weekend. I wonder if my local comic book shop still has a Walking Dead or Star Wars issue available. Nice pickups.

    ReplyDelete