Tuesday, June 17, 2014

2014 Topps Series 2 Gold Label Inserts - Did Topps really listen to me?

I keep bring this up, but I swear to god I told Topps they should do this, really!  A while back Topps asked for suggestions and ideas for upcoming products. I tried, but couldn't find the post or my comments, but rest assured I am all for sending feed back to the only MLB baseball card producer.  One of my ideas was bring back some old goodies like Stadium Club, Topps Tek and Gold Label.  But I suggested that instead of putting out a full series of each that they should include them as inserts in upcoming sets.  Well we all know that Topps is going to bring back Tek and Stadium Club as their own releases, but to my surprise when I started looking through the listings and checklist of Series to I saw these pop up.



It kind of made me laugh that Topps would actually use one of my ideas.  And to be honest I'm sure I'm not the only one who suggested this, but still cool to see.  I haven't seen one in hand, but from what I have seen these look like the framed rookie card reprints from last series.  But the difference is there are no parallels to these cards.  Just one set numbered to 99.   The checklist has a nice mix of active and retired players.

GL-1 Greg Maddux - Atlanta Braves
GL-2 Rickey Henderson - Oakland Athletics
GL-3 Albert Pujols - Angels
GL-4 Mike Schmidt - Philadelphia Phillies
GL-5 Joe Morgan - Cincinnati Reds
GL-6 Randy Johnson - Seattle Mariners
GL-7 Tom Seaver - New York Mets
GL-8 Steve Carlton - Philadelphia Phillies
GL-9 Johnny Bench - Cincinnati Reds
GL-10 George Brett - Kansas City Royals
GL-11 Cal Ripken Jr. - Baltimore Orioles
GL-12 Derek Jeter - New York Yankees
GL-13 Roberto Clemente - Pittsburgh Pirates
GL-14 Ken Griffey Jr. - Seattle Mariners
GL-15 Nolan Ryan - Houston Astros
GL-16 Mike Trout - Angels
GL-17 Andrew McCutchen - Pittsburgh Pirates
GL-18 Miguel Cabrera - Detroit Tigers
GL-19 Clayton Kershaw - Los Angeles Dodgers
GL-20 Joey Votto - Cincinnati Reds
GL-21 Max Scherzer - Detroit Tigers
GL-22 Manny Machado - Baltimore Orioles
GL-23 Felix Hernandez - Seattle Mariners
GL-24 Dustin Pedroia - Boston Red Sox
GL-25 Robinson Cano - Seattle Mariners





Luckily for me there are no players that I collect to chase down.

4 comments:

  1. That is a step in the right direction. Now if they could back off on all the different sets and the six million parallels the trading card universe would be balanced again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, here on the parallels, it's getting a little insane.

      Delete
  2. I would have preferred a different year's design. I'm partial to the 1999 version

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have preferred they tried a whole new design.

      Delete