Thursday, December 14, 2017

I miss competition in the marketplace


When I have a little free time I've been working on cleaning up, verifying, and adding teams to baseball set checklists over at the Trading Card Database.  Part of that involves verifying that cards have the right card designations.  Meaning that if the card has a prefix or suffix it gets added.  So a few  month back while working through a bunch of the 2004 sets, and there were a lot of products released in 2004 with lots of inserts and parallels, I came across this Genuine Insider auto set.  One of my go to places to verify card numbering is COMC and I couldn't for the life of me figure out where the autograph was for these cards where.  I figured that maybe these were book cards.  I also found that the Brewers had a card in the set featuring former Brewer Scott Podsednik.  And what's more COMC had one for cheap.  I figure I'd pick one up just to see what these cards were all about.  

Much to my surprise the card was not a book card, but had a slide out autograph.  The mid-2000's were awash in trading card products, especially baseball and football.  Companies were trying everything and anything to get you to buy their products.  Of course after seen the card and playing with it a little bit it dawned on me why the set is called the Genuine Autograph Insider!  For a guy who didn't collect much between 2001 and 2004 rediscovering these great gimmick cards if a lot of fun and even more fun when you can add one for cheap to your collection.




5 comments:

  1. Wow. Those are pretty nifty. I don't remember seeing anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They also have a jersey version in the set, at least in the NBA

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is cool - I never saw those before either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty cool. I've seen these before in football products, but this is the first baseball version I've seen.

    ReplyDelete