Sunday, December 3, 2017

Tales from the card shop.

It had probably been close to 2 months since I last stopped in to Don's Sportcards here in Anchorage, Alaska.  I had met a group of friends out to watch the Packer game and to celebrate the Packers narrowly escaping with a win I stopped down at Don's shop. 

I'll be honest currently I've not been buying much new stuff. OK in the last 3 months I've bought no new products. And I didn't end up buying any packs today either.  And I managed to get out of the store for less than $20, found a new card for my Yount PC, and whole slug of cards I needed to help almost finish my 2017 Allen and Ginter Sports Fish and Fishing Lures set, a bunch of Brewers cards and a few new Favres.  I also managed to walk away with a couple great relic cards for cheap. 

When I walked in a guy had just broke a box of 2017 Triple Threads and hit some pretty sweet cards.  As I was perusing the store another one of Don's regulars came in and they two guys decided to dual a box of Triple Threads too.  Ah the days when I had that kind of money to throw around.  But it was nice to talk cards and sports for a few minutes.  Nothing amazing came out of that dual, but one guy walked away with a stack of Triple Threads.

I ended up finding this Ryan Braun Black Prizm Refractor #/25 in the 50 cent boxes.

I also found this gold foil stamped Yount Rediscover Topps buyback in the 50 cent boxes.
It's seems pretty insane to me how much people want for some of these cards.  The gold foil is the middle tier of rarity for these buyback and for 50 cents it was going home with me.  I also found quite a few other Brewer's buybacks.
One of the features I love about Don's is his Drop Board.  It's pretty much two peg board walls with cards all over it and they each have a price.  The price usually starts a little below book value and keeps dropping every week until it reaches a dollar.  I've picked up some sweet cards over the years off that board.  
Here are few of one's I picked up today. Most were a buck and none were over $3.




Not a bad day out and about.  And I even managed to find part of my wife's Christmas present.

2 comments:

  1. Not a big fan of Panini baseball... but that Braun is a great looking card and a great deal. The Yount was a great buy as well. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least there IS a hobby shop when you need one! Both the Braun and Yount were steals at fifty cents!

    ReplyDelete