Monday, March 18, 2013

Topps to continue to put out uninspiring baseball cards for seven more years!!!

Well I'm not sure if you've heard yet.  I actually saw the news posted by the Pack Prodigy first and then did a quick google search to find the Beckett article.  I'm guessing my letter to the Commissioner had no sway what so ever.  So anyways Major League Baseball has extended Topps monopoly until 2020.

I'm pretty disappointed.  I don't know what my future holds in collecting and in blogging, but I'm pretty safe to say I will not be blogging in 2020.  So I'm taking down my countdown because honestly it's too depressing.  

You know what's funny there hasn't been a peep of this on any of Topps accounts.  Nothing on the Topps.com, but that's not surprising Topps has pretty much turned that into a store front.  Not a peep  from their twitter or facebook accounts about this either.  At least as I'm writing this, I just checked.

I honestly don't know what I'm feeling right now.  I knew that Topps getting another exclusive deal was always a possibility, but 7 more years??!!?? Are you freaking kidding me?  And I like Topps flagship.  I love putting my set together and building my team sets, but you know what else I love? Competition, innovation, and a general concern for it's consumer base.  I guess we can expect a few more parallels next year, I'm just waiting for Topps to add SP's to the flagship base set, and of course years and years of Topps going back to the same well to do things they've already done.

Sorry, sorry it's all a bit much to take in.  And I'm rambling and fuming.  And I just want to write a whole blog post with the f word.

What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Jesus, it's the Topps crapopoly extended indefinitely, reported by Beckett--the two entities most responsible for the hobby's decline. The only way this could be worse was if Justin Bieber wrote a song about it and performed it with the Black Eyed Peas and Nickelback at a new CD release party for Creed. Eat a bag of dicks, MLB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really not looking for "innovation" from baseball cards. I want tradition. As long as I can keep buying my Topps flagship cards - the only ones that have been around for all of my favorite team's history - I'll still be collecting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was always going to go to the biggest bidder. Leaf, Upper Deck, and Panani just don't have the pocket books that Topps does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why would you want to write an entire post about "felafels"?

    weird.

    ReplyDelete