Sunday, July 31, 2011

2011 Topps Football Jumbo Box Break and Review, or I'm Back for Now.

Wow it's been awhile.  I guess that's happens when you get married and have a ton of family in from out of town.  Yep sorry ladies I'm a taken man now.  Only 38 single years for me. 

Anyway.  While I was out showing  my and the wife's family a good time around the state, fishing, site seeing, ect, Topps Football came out.  So yesterday I had the opportunity to finally pick up a jumbo box.

Lets check out the this years base design.  Again Topps pretty much uses the Baseball layout.  There are a few minor differences though.  Around the team logo the teams division is on the bottom.  And players that made the all star team get a cool foil stamp.  There are also foil stamps for rookie of the year, MVP, and Superbowl Champs.  Here we have Clay "the Monster" Matthews tackling  Kolb.  Is this the tackle that took him out for the season and put Vick in? 

I have to say that the photography is awesome, just flipping through the cards as I ripped I noticed how great a lot of cards looked.
Here we have the back.  Another minor difference from the baseball design is that where the team logo is the baseball set had a picture of the player in it.

On to the parallels.  Gold cards were falling1 in every 2 packs of jumbo.  Which differs from baseball that were falling 1 to 1.

And I hit one black parallel as well.
Remember the base card I featured with Matthews tackling Kolb? Well here we have Cole tackling Rodgers.  Kinda neat.  I almost want to put this in with  my Rodgers cards.  Oh and both the Gold and Black parallels feature gold foil instead of the silver.
I'm a little bummed Topps decided not to carry over the Diamond Parallels to this set.

On to the inserts.


Add caption
 First off I'm going to say that I really like all  insert offering this year, well maybe except for Toppstown.  I like these game day cards.  They remind me of the old Gameday Tall Boys from the 90's.  These cards are simple and well done.  I might have to try to put the set together.
The Superbowl Legends Giveaway cards.  I think these are much nicer than the MCG and DCG baseball cards.
Topps for some reason the last couple of years has been on this duo card kick. Paring players together for some reason or another.  This year we get players that play or played on the same team, which for me as a team collector is great, and the layout is a lot nicer than the Legandary Lineage from Baseball.
Toppstown.  Nuff said there.

If you read my blog at all you know I'm a oddball mini fan.  So without a doubt my favorite insert this year are the bowman mini's.  I'm probably going to have to try for this set.
Here's a look at a back.


Now on to the hits.  I'll say that there was nothing super spectacular but at least all the hits were in the box.

First we have a Gameday auto of Bilal Powell.

And a Game Day Auto of Jimmy Smith.

My best hit was this Torrey Smith Rookie Patch. Yes I know it's from the Rookie Premiere and not game worn but a nice looking patch.

Well over all a nice looking set this year.  I like the inserts they all have a nice design and I've seen some pretty cool hits on other blogs and messages boards.  I haven't collated my box yet to see what I need.  I'm hoping that I get a full set out of the Jumbo like I did for baseball.


Well I'm heading out of town for 10 days on Tuesday into the wilds of Alaska for work and then back out for another 10 day trip at the end of the month.  So needless to say August is shot for me if you are trying to get a hold of me.  But I'll be around.  I have a few trade posts I need to finish and I went on another vintage wax binge.  All I can say is 92 Stadium Club Baseball for 6 bucks a box, all three series. 

Until next time CB out.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, CB!

    I hadn't really thought about this year's Topps NFL release, but I think I'll pick up a few packs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a bad box. If you don't mind my asking, how did you do on the base set? That's my biggest interest. I should end up with plenty of doubles from my case if you find you need any. I may also be able to help you with some of the inserts depending on how those fall.

    ReplyDelete