Thursday, July 7, 2011

Something Old: 2 Box break of 1997 Proflicks

I went to Bosco's trade night last night thinking that I'll grab a couple slices of pizza, buy a couple boxes of the new Score football, and hopefully win there grand prize drawing, which was like 300 worth of packs.  Well at least I got some pizza.  No Score Football, but I think that's a good thing, because I've decided to not bust any this year.  If you didn't know Panini is not numbering any of it's Score inserts this year to keep costs down.  And last year I spent way too much trying to put together a set that I could have bought complete and with bonus jersey cards for 29.99. 

However the Sports Card section did have a huge selection of older wax.  Mainly mid to late nineties.  And the prices were super cheap.  I ended up picking up a box of 92 Donruss Series 1 and 2 for under 10 bucks for both and a box of 92 Pinnicle Baseball, 5 packs of 93 Flair for 50 cents a pack and two boxes of this.
What can I say I'm a sucker for oddball stuff.  Plus the checklist wasn't too bad either.

Not everybody on the checklist is HOF material but there are some big names in there.  Plus you get a screwdown holder in every box.  The holder is sized for a regular card however, but bonus!

The front of the box mentions the QB Greats refractors.  It doesn't mention that there are about 5 or 6 refractor parallel cards in the box as well.  Unfortunately they didn't scan well and you can't tell them apart from the regular cards.

ProFlicks was suppose to be the ultimate paper football.  Remember table top paper football back in grade school?  The footballs come embedded in a thick card, that is about 3/4 the size of a regular trading card.  Lets have a look at some.

I was disappointed that I didn't get a QB Greats Refractor and that both of my QB Greats were the same guy.
Could be a worse guy though.  Though not stated on the box these fall one per box.  I was hoping for a Favre, but at least I didn't get two Mark Brunells.

I was thinking of putting a set together but I bought the last two boxes the store had and I really don't feel like trying to track more of this down.  Between the two boxes I got multiple doubles and those refractor parallels so I'd need at least 2 more boxes to try and finish it.  Not probably going to happen.


Here's Troy's base card.

And his teammate Emmitt.

Here's what a back looks like.



A classic Barry.
Elwood!
Jerry!
Of course not everybody turned out to be long term superstars.
Since I had multiple of some of the lesser stars I had to punch one out to see what the back of the footballs looked like too.

And of course I got some Packers for my Packer collection and Favre collection. This was right after their Superbowl XXXI win after all.

The Reggie and one of the Favre's is the refractor and one is the base, can't really tell from the scan though.

4 comments:

  1. You ruined the Kerry Collins card?! What's wrong w/ you...you monster! Seriously though, I'll take that Collins off your hands if you haven't already flicked it to death!

    I got 2 packs of Score FB the other day from my LCS. Not bad, but I don't plan on buying much either. Might go for a Panthers team set and maybe a Cam Newton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, he was a double and the unmolested one is already in your stack I'll throw this one in too so you can play with it. And I do believe he's the only Panther in the set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well,

    Does the sport card shop you went to have any more of those cool ProFlick Sets? Would you be willing to sell what you have? If so, what do you want for them? They seem to hold little value, but I like them none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have the entire set of FB 1996.. maybe 2 sets. My step-father was a pressman and printed them himself. If interested give me a call. 817 615 1548 J.J.

    ReplyDelete