Friday, March 20, 2015

2015 Topps Tribute Recalled!!

Just thought I'd throw this out there.  I'm sure you might have already seen this if you follow Topps on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, but Topps has officially announced a recall of the this years Tribute Baseball.  Topps is asking for shops to return all unopened product.  It has also said that it will replace any damaged cards with cards of equal value, uh oh.

Couple of thoughts.  First, I don't know if I've ever heard of a sports card product ever being recalled.

Second, what the hell happened to quality control?  Yes I know Topps has had issues before.  Like Five Star and it's flagship product a few years ago.  As a matter of fact I've seen quite a few comments on damage in this years Series 1 baseball.  I have no idea how Topps handles it's pack out especially for high end stuff, but it seems to be that someone really dropped the ball.

Third, is Topps going to reissue this set later?  There has been a ton of product already opened, but I'm sure there is still quite a bit sitting on the selves.  What's going to happen to the base cards and hit's that aren't damaged that are being returned?

My final thought is Topps has really screwed the pooch on this one, but in the end it won't matter.  They have their exclusive deal for another 5 years and we really don't have much of a choice if we want new baseball cards.  That being said if this is an isolated incident I think Topps will bounce back alright, but if this is just a harbinger of things to come I don't know if Topps can last 5 more years putting out a crap product and having to do a full recall.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if it will make the stuff that is already out spike up in price. I missed out on a big chunk of the last 20 years or so of collecting, have many other products been recalled in the past?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember a full recall on any trading card product ever.

      Delete
  2. Curious to see what they replace the individual autos with. I know they said auto of equal or greater value and a relic. At least if you didn't open the box you'll get a refund.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember Topps Chrome from (I think) 2010? Those cards would almost curl into a ball if you let them. Now there's a product that SHOULD have been recalled!

    ReplyDelete