Monday, March 9, 2015

Stop the Insanity part 2 or the Topps Bunt edition

I'm a lover of history.  World history, American history, Baseball history, even my own history. So when I got a twitter suggestion to follow the Digital Card Values I was intrigued.  Hold on the history part will come into play in a minute.
Topps Bunt Sparky Anderson Signature Card

I play Topps Bunt and that led me to playing Topps Punt and Kick as well.  If you don't know what those are they are digital trading card apps.  The premise is pretty simple you download the app, Topps gives you some coins, you buy some digital card packs. You want more coins you can to tasks on Tapjoy or just buy them.  You get daily coins and a weekly bonus for logging in 7 days in a row.  Of course packs aren't cheap and the coins you get is limited, so of course Topps wants you to buy more coins, that's how it makes money.  There is also a game involved, much like fantasy baseball and football.  You add cards from your inventory and if the player does something you get points, earn awards and more coins.  You can also trade to complete sets for more coins and trading is half the fun.

So it's not hard to imagine that of course people have started to sell these digital cards on ebay.  Not only that, but people are buying them and paying some big bucks.  Paying for cards that don't play in the game and don't really exist.

This reminds me of, here's the history part, of the Dutch tulip craze of the 1600's.  Don't know what that is, here's a wiki page.  I guess people have way too much money and way to much time on their hands.

Don't get me wrong I like the Bunt app and I like trading and playing the game. And Topps has the opportunity to try out all sorts of ideas for cards that really don't cost it more than the designer and coders time.

 But I've never purchased coins and I'm sure not going to buy 0 and 1's off of ebay.  Seriously check out the site and the prices some of these cards are going for.  I really don't understand it.  Maybe you can explain it to me.

cb out

2 comments:

  1. I "get" Bunt and the other digital apps with cards and all, but I don't like them. Unless there's a hope of someday seeing Bunt cards sold offline as real cardboard, I find the entire thing pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete