Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I stand corrected. Sorta...



I've been meaning to do an update from my last post about the 1976 Reggie Jackson Postcard, but ended up leaving town for a couple days to keep my and my girlfriends sanity in place.    Anyways I posted that Mr. Jackson did not have any regular issue cards that put him in a Orioles Jersey.  And this is still true I believe.  But I had a post from Fleerfan, who has a nice blog mostly about fleer stickers, that he actually did a posting of the exactly topic not to long ago you can find it here.  He actually has a bunch of photos he's found with Reggie in an Orioles uni, but not a lot.  And after looking at the photos I realized that in 1988 Score put out a 5 card tribute sub set in the set.  Cards 500 - 505.

  And card 501 is Reggie in an Orioles Jersey.

 He also had some examples of the Renata Galasso tribute set.  And while the card was in the regular issue of the 1988 Score set Reggie retired at the end of the 1987 season so. . . . he still never had a regular issue. 
And basically what I meant that he didn't have a regular issue Topps card at the time.  Now here comes the interesting part.  Fleerfan had a picture of the fabled 1977 Reggie Jackson Proof card.  After searching around the internet I found a message board at baseball fever, from early 2008 and they had a link to Trading Card Central  from a post in 2004 where the Topps Vault was selling on ebay the 1977 Reggie Jackson Proof card.  I couldn't find out how much it went for, I'd love to know if anyone out there knows.

Here's the image of the proof card from Trading Card Centrals post titled Famous Reggie Jackson Proof Card Uncovered.


And here's his actual regular issued card from 1977.
If you look close the airbrushing is painfully obvious.  Now Fleerfan also points out that Reggie does make an apperance on the team card of the Orioles.  So I guess I'm torn.  I guess you could call that a regular issue but it's not a player card.  Whatever.  I want to say thanks to Fleerfan for the info and the education and I had fun going back and doing more research on the subject. 
Until next time.
CB

1 comment:

  1. It sold for $6,101. Keith Olbermann has one as well as an uncut proof sheet with the card.

    ReplyDelete