Tuesday, March 20, 2012

1963 Topps Baseball Project - Sisler, Rudolph, and Carreon

It must be tough having a dad who's in the Hall of Fame.  That's a tough act to follow.  Dave's dad was of course George Sisler.  Dave came from a baseball family with both of his brothers involved at some level of the game.  Dave's old brother Dick was a outfielder/ first baseman in the 40's and 50's for a handful of teams and his much older brother, George Jr., was a manger in the minor league system.  Dave started his career with the Red Sox and while solid was not really all that spectacular and was traded to Detroit in 1959.  He had some good fortune with the Tigers, and was selected by the Senator's in the 1960 expansion draft. Dave was fairly solid the first half of the 1960 season, but his productivity quickly dropped off and he was dealt to the Reds in Nov of 1961.  Reuniting Dave with his brother Dick who was the first base coach.  Dave didn't have a great season and though he was signed through the 1963 season was sent down to the minors where he finished his career.  After baseball Dave went on to become an executive with the investment firm AG Edwards.  Dave pasted away early in 2011 from prostate cancer at the age of 79.
Don broke into baseball in 1950 playing for D level Jesup in the Georgia State League.  And was called up from time to time.  Spending most of his time in the minor league system before 1962 when he was added to the regular rotation for the Senator's.  Don retired from baseball in 1966 feeling misused and underappreciated.  Don is probably better known for marrying burlesque star Patti Waggin.  Sadly Don was killed in a truck accident in 1968 at the age of 37.

Cam was a California native who started out in the D and C level Minors, but quickly worked his way up to AAA and in 1962 a starting catching job with the White Sox.  In 1964 he tore tendons in his right arm and was put on the DL.  In 1965 he was traded to Indians and then in 1966 to the Orioles.  After the '66 season Cam played in the minors for a few more years till 1967 and then retired to Tucson. But when the Tucson Toros joined the Pacific Coast League Carreon came out of retirement for the 1969 season to help with catching duties and then went on to coach till the 1972 season.  Cam passed away in 1987 from a fight with cancer at the age of 50.  Cam's son Mark went on to play in the major league as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment