Monday, March 19, 2012

2012 Topps Heritage 2 Box Break and Review

Well this weekend I went and picked up two hobby boxes of Heritage.  I couldn't resist trying to put together this years set, begin one of my all time favorite designs and the fact that I also decided to try and work on putting together the original 1963 set.  I'm also slowly working on the 1965 set and will probably put that Heritage set together as well in two years.
box label

Well lets have a look at the cards.

The base:



Classic design.  There are also color swap and photo swap variations.  I didn't notice any when I collated and sorted, but I haven't gone through the cards with the full checklist yet.

The inserts:
Baseball Flashback
I guess these are falling about 2 per box considering I only got 4.

News Flashbacks
Likewise with these News Flashbacks.

Now and Then
I haven't looked up true odds or insertion rates but I only got 3 of these out of 2 boxes.

New Age Performers
Likewise with the NAP cards.  I kinda like the looks of this years design.  It also never hurts to pull a Pujols.

One thing I don't like about these inserts is the numbering, or rather the lack of numbering.  The News and Baseball flashbacks, Then and Now and New Age Performers all have the insert prefix and then the initials of the player or event featured.  I don't understand why Topps keeps doing this for these basic inserts

1963 had stickers so Topps has these mini stickers.  I'm a sucker for mini's, but I'm torn whether or not to try and put this set together and at only 3 per box I'm tempted to just say no.

The shiny Chrome goodness.

I sure eventually Topps will be putting out a full Heritage Chrome product like with the Flagship and Bowman, I don't see how they could resist, but until then they are the shiny numbered inserts to deal with.

Out of two boxes I got 4 Chrome cards all numbered to 1963:
The one refractor I failed to scan as it had Brewers in it. I think it was HP94 numbered to 563.

And I got one Black Chrome Refractor.
The hits (ahem if you can call them that)

I also got one advertising panel box topper, which I didn't scan, wasn't that exciting and one buy back.
Oh Topps.  Sadly this is card I need for my 1963 set, but since .Topps had to go and foil stamp it, it won't be going in.

Over all I love the design, being a fan of the 63 set already.  However hobby boxes are selling for way to much for what you get.  This product should be about 50 bucks a box max, not 70 to 80.  And there are some nice hits you can get. Obviously getting a couple of dollar relics kinda sucks, but you roll the dice.

16 comments:

  1. Hey, if you still need anything from this set, I'm giving away everything I pulled. Just go here...

    http://crackinwax.wordpress.com/take-my-cards-please/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keeping that Berkman Chrome card? I'm not building the set so if any of the single packs I've bought yield anything you need they are yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Colbey,
      Sounds good my needs list is up already and I put the Berkman Chrome in your trade pile.

      Delete
  3. hello! i am 2 hobby boxes in on this, and if you ar elooking for trading partners, count me in!

    www.bonus-cantos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kev, I'm up for some trading, I might buy a few more blasters, but I think I'm done with hobby boxes. I have my needs list up already.

      Delete
  4. I am a Giants collector, drop me a line if that Marichal/Shield Now and Then, the Sandoval sticker and the Vogelsong chrome are for trade.

    Thanks, Adam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adam,
      I set them aside for you. I'll email you later today after work.

      Delete
  5. Does anyone have any idea what the print run of the buyback cards are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adam,
      I couldn't find any odds or total stamps info on the buybacks, but from what I've seen most are low numbered and in EX or so shape. Low to mid 63's in high grade go for about 4 bucks or less, searching ebay I see that there were a few stars in the buy back program and stick on buybacks numbered to just 7! I'm not sure if Topps knows exactly how many and of who they inserted. but there are a ton up on the 'bay!

      Delete
    2. I have found 3 Virdons so far. I bought 2 of them so far and there is one more on ebay. It is weird because I have only seen one from any other year with some years I haven't seen one at all and I have checked ebay every single day for about 3 years. As far as I know I am the only Virdon super collector so I don't think that there is someone else out there sitting on them.

      Delete
    3. It's funny I was just working through the last of my 1963 cards to post about, I have about 30 or so in groups of three left, and Virdon is one of them. I know I picked his card up from a lot I bought a few months back. And I think you're right you might be the only Virdon Super collector I know. Have you picked up his real one autos from the set yet? As a Yount and Fingers supercollector I alwasy get a little excited when I have new cards to chase.

      Delete
  6. CB...if that Cruz is available, let me know and I'll try to pull a Brewer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brian,
      the Cruz is set aside for you let me know.

      Delete
  7. I'd love to deal for the Longo bat and black Bruce (and Kemp sticker if you choose to not go after those).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Greg,
      I think I'm going to keep the Bruce, but the Longo and Kemp are yours let me know what you got!

      Delete
    2. Sweet! I've got a '63 you might like, I'll e-mail you later tonight.

      Delete