Friday, March 18, 2011

I've got a bad taste in my mouth - 2011 Heritage Hobby box break



First off I apologize for the lack of content coming out of the crack lately.  I've been sick with a crappy cold that pretty much knocked me out for a week and the last thing I wanted to do was scan cards, write semi-interesting things, or even breath.  But I'm feeling much better now.  I will also say that I have this post and one other coming and then I'll be down for 2 weeks as my fiance and I head south to the lower 48 to visit family and friends in Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana.  Should be fun.  Just found out that I'm going to go see the Cubs play the Pirates on the day after opening day at Wrigley, which I'm super excited about since I've never been to Wrigley and my fiance is a big Cubs fan, her aunt lives relatively close to the field and even said she might be able to snag us some free tickets.  It would only have been better if the Cubs were playing the Brewers.

So anyways, last week I stopped at Target on my way home and spied a blaster of 2011 Heritage and I was like damn.  We never get anything early up here.  So I bought one, and a couple cheap blasters of Opening Day, which helped complete my Opening Day set.  I was going to do a post about the blaster but it really was terrible and I could think of nothing to say other than how shitty it was.  I mean last year I bought one hobby box and about 10 blasters because after that first hobby box prices went through the roof and it looks like it's going to happen again this year.  Last year I was getting chrome cards and variations.  This year I think there were 3 high numbered SPs and 2 Flashback cards, that's it.  Boring.  It left a terrible taste in my mouth.  I had already decided I wasn't going to try and take on this set.  I might buy a few hobby or retail packs I'll probably pick up some Brewers variations and inserts and the team set but I'm not  going to try and put this monster together.  Hint Hint if anyone has any Brewers or Brewer inserts, parallels or variations.

But I stopped in to Don's Sportcards yesterday because I had talked to him the week before about me trying to complete the 2010 Heritage set. Hint Hint y'all look at my need list if you have any extras laying around. And he said that he had a few SP's laying around that he had tried to sell on ebay but nobody bid on and I told him to hold them for me and I'd stop in with my need list.  Well yesterday I printed off my need list and stopped in after work.  Out of the 8 SP's I need 6 and he gave me a really good deal.  But I noticed that he had a few boxes of Heritage still on the shelf after his trade night, which I missed due to my cold, and they were reasonably priced, I'm talking 20 to 30 dollars cheaper than online prices, so foolishly I decided to roll the dice and buy one.  I knew better but what the hell.  Well I wish I could say I was pleasantly surprised by my box, pulling a super hit or getting a hot box with Green Refractors, but no it was pretty terrible all around.

First off my box topper was a Baseball Bucks.  I was interested because I'd seen these on ebay already and was curious about them.

sorry crappy scan

I got a $5 Aramis Ramirez.  Ho hum.  Ok what ever.  I guess it's better than a stamp advertisement of the Royals, but still not very exciting.


I was going to break this scan up into individual cards but to be honest it's not worth it.

It wasn't until late last night after reading the baseballcardapedia checklist that I realized I missed a few inserts and variations but this is the bulk of what I pulled out of the box that wasn't base.
My hit was the Clay Buchholz relic, meh.  I got 3 chrome cards.  I do believe the Coleman is a refractor #'d to 562.  4 Flashback cards (2 Baseball, 2 history), 2 new age performers (a CC and Pujols), ok not bad there, and one Then and Now.

I also got 3 Babe Ruth cards.  I don't think these are inserts they are actually numbered into the set, but after reading the Baseballcardapedia checklist I realized I missed a Jackie Robinson variation, that I know I saw in the mix of cards that I'm going to go back and pull out later tonight, as well as any mid numbered color variations.  I figure after I get back in 2 weeks all the secrets from this set should be out so I'll wait till then to decided what I do with any or all of it.

That's it, pretty boring. 

My rating is going to be low, but I suppose if I had hit a sweet auto or hot box my rating might be a little higher.  The only thing I'm doing right now is kicking myself of the lack of self-control and buy this box when I knew I probably should have saved my money.

Yep it gets a meh.  Just a single Meh.  Like I said if you hit a high end hit  your experience could be much better than mine, but for the price this just isn't worth it  and the blasters are shit too.

cb out

2 comments:

  1. I only bought two packs and I'm pretty underwhelmed too. I am however looking for any team cards and any Mets cards I can find. I think the team cards are the coolest so that's all I'm really looking for. If you have any to trade I think I can help you with your 2009 Turkey Reds or the Kimball minis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had 4 packs. Same feeling. .
    Jeremy, I have a duplicate Texas team card if you need it, along with Beltran and Ike Davis.

    ReplyDelete