Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Close Topps, Oh so close.

I've been pretty excited to see some new 2016 Topps Baseball cards.  It's always an exciting time for a baseball collector.  The new season is right around the corner and the cards are new.  I was also excited because my favorite all-time player, Mr. Robin Yount has 6 new cards to chase in the set.  Some are rare and uncommon, but a few are just regular inserts.  I was looking at images of a couple of his new cards that have hit the market and his Berger's Best insert card was up there.  Berger's Best is another reprint set, which we seem to get at least one of per year.  You would think that Robin would be featured on the 75 set, but that honor went to George Brett, no Robin gets his 77 Topps card reprinted and then I read the back, lets see if you can spot the obvious error like I did.




For those who didn't catch it, Robin's rookie year was 1974, but his first card or rookie card wasn't issued until the 1975 set.  Oh how I crave that 1974 mini version.  Although it would have been an interesting set, Rookie Cards that never were, did Topps already do one of those?

I think my plans are to curb my buying this year.  I'll be picking up a few packs of 2016 Series 1 tonight at trade night to get a taste, but I think I'm just going to buy a set, either wait for a factory version or just pick up a cheap hand collated set.

I already have a few opinions on a few inserts, both good and bad, what about you guys?

4 comments:

  1. I decided to buy a master set on line with the 6 hobby insert sets. I usually buy a jumbo box but finally changed my tune for 2015 Update. For just a few dollars more I get the entire set (not a given with a Jumbo anymore) and all the inserts instead of just a few of each. I lose out on the 3 hits and the parallels. I also decided to join Nachos group break to get my Giants team sets and try and pick up the inserts and some of the parallels. Who knows, maybe I will get lucky with a hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to do the Jumbo box, but my son pretty much took all my expendable cash. The three hits were nice, but they usually always just went up on eBay, which helped defray some of the cost. I thought about nachos group break, but there aren't that many hits for the Brew Crew and I can pick up my team set and inserts from justcommons for fraction of the cost.

      Delete
  2. I might do the factory set thing this year. It'll probably be cheaper than a hand-collated set from eBay and the factory sets usually contain a pack of some kind of special card variations, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep and depending on which factory set version could be one of many different special card packs. I still plan on buying a couple packs to sate my appetite and after I see the inserts in hand might decided on completing one of those sets as well.

      Delete