Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Back in the Bronze Age - Some great comic pick-ups

My local comic shop, Boscos, recently bought a huge collection of bronze and silver age comics and then threw a big event at the shop to promote it.  They had lots of early Marvel and DC with lots of classic key issues all going for way more than I could afford, but they also had box after box of great back issues to look through.  In the end I decided to pick up some hole fillers in a couple runs I'm putting together.

First up are Groo #4 and 5 from the 1980's Pacific Comics run.  I have a fairly complete Epic (Marvel) run and have Groo's first appearance and Eclipse one shot, but am missing a couple from the Pacific run, nice to add these to the collection. I will say I found Boscos grading to be pretty conservative and at least to my eyes the issues looked to be in much better condition than the posted grade.   I've been pestering Dark Horse comics on Twitter if there are any plans for some nice collected editions of Groo.

 Another run I'm trying to put together is the 1970's Spider-woman run.  Again I have Spider-woman's first appearance in Marvel Spotlight and now with these editions the first 12 issues of her first solo series.
 The two books I was most excited to pick up were these two.  I'm a big Iron Man fan and have been slowly picking up sub 50 issues here and there for a couple years now.  Issue #4 marks the lowest issue I have in the series.  They did have #2 and 3 for sale and I'm kind of kicking myself or not going after #2 it wasn't that expensive, although not cheap, but only a mid-grade copy.  Still I'm happy to add this very nice copy of #4 to the collection and Iron Man's first annual!  Before Annual #3 Iron Man had 2 King Size Specials, hence Annual #3 is the first Annual.

4 comments:

  1. Those are nice, especially the Iron Mans. My collection starts about #98 and goes for several years.

    Not bad prices, though they are making a buck or two on each issue from what I've looked up from that era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posts like this make me wish I had the space to collect comics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandpa was such big Groo fan! One of his favorite memories was being able to meet, and talk extensively with, the creator (I can't recall his name right now) at one of my uncle's comic book shows way back when.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got to meet Serio Aragones back in the 80's when my father was stationed in El Paso at Ft. BLiss. He did a singing at Rita's Fantasy shop and I got my copy of Groo #1 signed and he did a little sketch on the first page.

      Delete