Monday, November 1, 2010

Hey You!!!


This is a rant I would normally put up over at the 13 Tenets.
But seeing as nobody reads it I'll post it here and all you sports heads can suffer.

I like to think of myself as a pretty level headed, fairly educated, reasonable kind of guy.  And I will be glad when tomorrow is over.  If you don't know tomorrow is the mid-term or off year elections.  Meaning that a third of the Senate seats are up for grabs and a few of the House as well.  What does this mean for you?  And by you I mean you/us  Americans, sorry Captain.  It means you need to vote!!!

I'm not a very political guy, I consider myself independent, I use to consider myself mildly Republican back when that meant, small government, low taxes, and fiscal conserverativism, but now that it means religious radicalism, warmongering, and corporate shilling, I want nothing to do with it.  But equally the Democrats are not all that appealing either, just mildly more tolerant and I have to say share many of my views.

I find it amusing that the Democrats have labeled themselves the progressive party.  And sadly that's mostly true.  While many Republicans seem to wish it was 1950 again, I need a country and a leadership that can keep up with the times.  Sorry, Sorry, say on target.

This election year is made even more interesting by the emergence of a new movement of loonies the Tea Party.  And they like to be called Tea Baggers.  Do they know what that means?  Probably.

And being an Alaskan, I've been up here 12 years now I think I can call myself that, it's hard not to notice are looney ex-governor, ex-vice presidential candidate, Sarah Palin making her presence felt.  My worry is why do so may people listen to what she has to say?  Her ideas aren't all that great and the Tea Party Movement is mainly sound bites of ideas pulled off of opinion polls.  All empty calories.
I get it I mean we all wanted change overnight, and the Republican leadership has lost it's way and focus. Remember the Reform Party? Perot you crazy bastard.

We have an interesting Senate race up here as our Republican candidate, Joe Miller, is a Tea Party member and ousted the incumbent Lisa Murkowski for the Republican nom, who decided to wage a write in campaign and of course the Democratic candidate who didn't stand a chance now has a chance seeing that Lisa and Joe can't stop flinging monkey poop at each other.  And I'm tired of the ads.  I voted weeks ago, mainly because I'm leaving town for a conference and won't be here to vote tomorrow, but also it's nice to get it out of the way.  And you know what almost everywhere has early voting.  Did you know that?  How convenient. Vote on your time.  Although I love the feeling of voting on election day.  Nothing like free cookies and a sticker. 

I have voted in every Presidential and local election since I was 18.  I was brought up that it's your civic responsibility to vote, sadly so few in our country take that time to do it.  But you know who votes?  The crazy people.  And I'm proud of my record.

So today, since I won't be here tomorrow, I'm sending out the call, posting the reminder and driving the van to the polls,

GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!

This way next year when you want to bitch about how shitty your government is you have a right to bitch.
If you want change make it happen, don't let others choose for you.  I don't care who you vote for, although I hope you make a effort to learn your choice's views first, just vote. 

And now back to your regularly scheduled blog.
go Packers
cb out.

No comments:

Post a Comment