Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Can someone please tell me why Dale Murphy isn't a HOFer yet?



So I'm reading the blogs off the blog roll and scanning Yahoo sports, because it's the only sports site I can access at work and see that Pat Gillick was inducted into the Baseball HOF by the veterans committee.  I had no idea who this guy is so I did what I normally do and googled him. So OK whatever front office exec who lead 2 teams to 3 world series sounds good whatever.  But then I'm looking over the HOF website and see that the ballot is up for next years HOF class so as ignorant as ever I start reading who's up for the vote and I come across many a name from my youth but the one that sticks out is Dale Murphy and not that he's on the ballot but that this is his 13th year on the ballot, and yes Mr. Mattingly is on there too for the 11th time. 

But come on.  Yes I realized he never went to a World Series but he's got great stats, lots of awards and accolades, was Mr. Clean in his career.

He's a 2 Time MVP, back to back no less, 7 time All-Star, 5 time Gold Glove, 4 time Silver Slugger, and he's won the Roberto Clemente award and Lou Gehrig Award.

I get that he's not in the exclusive 3000 hit club or 500 Home Run club and near the end he wasn't all that productive and his final years with Philly and Colorado would best be forgotten but he was Mr. Brave for a good part of the late 70's and 80's. 

Lots of good names on the ballot this year but I think it's time Dale gets put in. 

So I know that there are lots of Brave fans out there with blogs.  I would love to know what you guys think. I know growing up in the 80's Murphy was a favorite of mine, along with Wade Boggs, Don Mattingly, Ricky Henderson, Will Clark, as well as, all my 80's Brewers.

6 comments:

  1. I've been banging my head against the wall for a dozen years.... no one can tell me why Murph is not in the Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Career OPS+ of just 121. Played in a hitter's park. Didn't get to 400 HRs. His defensive metrics weren't really that good. Really had a horrid ending to his career. That's what taints him to voters.

    To me, he's much like Jim Rice (who I didn't think deserved it) and Dave Parker (who is borderline). You may have fond memories but the HOF is for sustained excellence.

    There are also much better candidates (Larry Walker, Jeff Bagwell, Rafael Palmeiro, Mark McGwire, Barry Larkin, Roberto Alomar, Alan Trammell and Tim Raines) not to mention unjust exclusions like Lou Whitaker. (I don't care about the steroids - the greenies were just as bad.)

    Of course, it's just my .02. HOF debates are useless really. When Fred Lindstrom and Jessie Hanes are in and Ron Santo and Bert Blyleven are out - it's just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leave it to Smed. You are an encyclodepea unto yourself my friend and I do enjoy you blog.
    That said I guess i set the bar really high with the 500HR bar since he ended in the mid 300's.
    But as for sustained excellence, how long is that? Up till they retire. How many HOFer ended their careers as DH's? And I'll agree poor Dales final years were terrible but again how many guys in the majors for 18+ years are that productive at the end. Not many and I guess those guys are probably already in the Hall. And to be honest I just wanted to see how many Braves feathers I could ruffle since I know there are umpteen Braves blogs out there. Love you guys. I agree there are some really good guys on the ballot this year and some ???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly I'm hoping Allen Tramell makes it in since I already have his rookie card with another HOFer on it. Double whammy in my HOFer collection!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dammit sticky keyboard I meant Trammell!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I had a vote... Murphy would get it. He was a fan favorite even in the Bay Area.

    ReplyDelete