Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Reader comes through the Yount Star Company List


A few weeks back I post a new Yount Card I got over at the Yount Collector a 1991 Star Millenium Promo card.  And asked if anyone had any information or new of a site that had information about the sets Star put out in the early 90's.  I've consulted the great bible of Baseball cards the Standard Catalog and either I passed over some or it's incomplete.  Maybe both.  Anyway, reader John set me an email today with a list and link to what he believes is to be a fairly complete checklist of the Star Co. sets.  John said he was only missing one card out of the checklist and I asked him if he'd mind if I published his letter.  Here it is:

Hello fellow Yount fan!

As a fellow former Wisconsinite, now transplanted to the West Coast, I have been enjoying reading your blogs, and your recent article about the Star Company sets rang a bell for me, as these cards seem to be rather lacking in details in the guide books. I have had a heck of a time trying to figure out all the Yount cards issued by them. Not sure if it was because they were not an 'officially licensed' set, or what the deal is, but just darn hard to get information. But I 'think' I have managed to compile a list. Also, I am not overly savvy yet on on-line photo posting, but I did try and upload pictures of all of the Yount Star company cards here:

http://www.1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/jWals/Robin%20Yount%201990%20and%201991%20Star%20Company/

As far as I know, I am only missing one, the 1990 Star Glossy promo. If any of your readers can help in tracking down this card, or know of any other Star Co. Yount cards I am missing, I would greatly appreciate the information.

The Star Co. cards have some irregularities in numbering and set size, but each set was between 9 and 11 cards, and each was also preceded by a promo card. In 1990 there were parallel 'glossy' sets issued, which are rather hard to distinguish from the regular set, other than to compare side by side, and notice the high gloss finish. So here is the list that I have for the 68 different Yount Star Co:

1) 1990 Star promo - yellow border, blue lettering, blank back (1)

2) 1990 Star set - yellow border, blue lettering, 11 cards in the set, numbered 1 of 11, 2 of 11 etc. on back (11)

3) 1990 Star Glossy promo - missing from my collection (1)

4) 1990 Star Glossy set - yellow border, blue lettering, 11 cards in the set, numbered 1 of 11, 2 of 11 etc. on back, super high gloss on front, hard to distinguish from regular set without comparing side by side (11)

5) 1990 Star Robin Yount/Kevin Mitchell set promo - yellow border, brown lettering, blank back (1)

6) 1990 Star Robin Yount/Kevin Mitchell set, purple border, white lettering, 11 cards in the set, numbered 1 of 11, 2 of 11 etc. on back, Yount appears on cards 1,3,5,7,9, and 11 (6)

7) 1990 Star Robin Yount/Kevin Mitchell Glossy set promo - yellow border, brown lettering, blank back (1)

8) 1990 Star Robin Yount/Kevin Mitchell Glossy set, purple border, white lettering, 11 cards in the set, numbered 1 of 11, 2 of 11 etc. on back, Yount appears on cards 1,3,5,7,9, and 11. (6)

9) 1990 Star Nova promo - yellow and gray border, blank back (1)

10) 1990 Star Nova set - yellow and orange border, 9 cards in set, numbering as part of a larger overall set, Yount cards numbered 10-18, states '1 of 500 SETS' on back (9)

11) 1991 Star Millennium promo - white border, states ' One of only 200 Promos distributed of this player.' on back (1)

12) 1991 Star Millennium set - yellow border, 9 cards in the set, numbered 1, 2, 3 etc, states 'One of only 1,000 sets distributed of this player.' on back (9)

13) 1991 Star Stellar promo - tan and black border, states ' One of only 100 Promos distributed of this player.' on back (1)

14) 1991 Star Stellar set - tan and pink border, 9 cards in the set, numbering as part of a larger overall set, Yount cards numbered 28-36, states 'One of only 500 sets distributed of this player.' on back (9)

So post more and I will continue to enjoy your stuff, and I hope to get some photos of more Yount items up to share with you.

Thanks again, Happy Holidays!

Best, -John Walsdorf, Portland, OR, johnwalsii@aol.com



Check out the link for his collection of Star cards.

Thanks John and if anyone knows of has the card he is looking for drop him a line and if you have two drop me a line as well, because I don't have that card either.

No comments:

Post a Comment